On just-drinks last week:
- While I was busy trying to look oh-so clever on Monday, by suggesting there was still a long way to go in Heineken's tussle with ThaiBev over Asia Pacific Breweries, who'd have believed that it would take only 48 hours for the matter to be resolved? With ThaiBev giving its blessing to Heineken's move for APB, it seems that everyone can spend this week relaxing with a drink, beer or otherwise.
- Incidentally, if you'd like to marvel at my latest attempt to look clever, here's my take on the persistent speculation about Diageo's next moves, with Jose Cuervo and UB Group.
- In the spirits world, Brown-Forman and Beam Inc had a quick game of musical chairs in Japan, with the former set to make way for the latter in Suntory's distribution portfolio. Brown-Forman will take its brands to Asahi, with Beam's Jim Beam and Maker's Mark brands heading in the opposite direction.
- Staying in Japan, the Coca-Cola co confirmed details of its new president in the country. The move follows Coca-Cola's corporate structure revamp, announced earlier this month.
- Cape Wine, the three-day South African wine trade exhibition, kicks off in (where else?) Cape Town tomorrow, and just-drinks will be in attendance. Drop us a line if you'd like us to come and say hello. Ahead of the trade fair, we took a look at the current landscape for the country's wine producers.
- We released the latest management briefing on environmental sustainability in our industry last week. This month's briefing focuses on the spirits sector. With beer and soft drinks & water already checked off earlier this year, we'll be looking at sustainability in the wine category before 2012 is out. Drop me an email if you'd like your company's work in this area to be considered for the report.